(“The Ten” is not a top ten, but ten items worth being included in The TEN)
1. The Lakers negotiate a sign and trade deal with Phoenix for Steve Nash.
2. Deron Williams re-signs with the Brooklyn Nets for $100 million.
3. New Jersey’s Zach Parise, who was pursued by the Kings, signs with the Minnesota Wild.
4. Joey Chestnut devoured 68 hot dogs in ten minutes to capture his sixth consecutive Nathan’s famous hot dog eating contest in Coney Island.
5. Bellflower linebacker Noah Hernandez 2011 stats – junior year: 41 tackles, 24 assisted, 65 total.
6. According to reports, the San Francisco Medial Examiner confirmed Wednesday that a body found in the bay was that of former Temple City football player Victor Murillo (27). Murillo, a corrections officer in Vacaville, fell off Pier 32 the night of June 25 after attending the Dodger-Giant game at AT&T Park.
7. The SGV Shootout at Arroyo this Saturday July 7.
8. Giant third baseman Pablo Sandoval is voted in as a starter at the All-Star game over David Wright of the New York Mets, who is batting 54 points higher than Sandoval and has twice as many runs batted in.
9. Former Oakland Raider Ben Davidson passes away at 72.
10. On this date in 1980 Bjorn Borg defeated John McEnroe in an epic five set match to win his fifth straight men’s singles title at Wimbledon.