1. First five picks in the NBA draft: 1. Phoenix – Deandre Ayton, C, Arizona 2. Sacramento – Marvin Bagley III, PF, Duke 3. Atlanta – Luka Doncic, SG, Slovenia 4. Memphis – Jaren Jackson Jr., PF, Michigan State 5. Dallas – Trae Young, PG, Oklahoma. Atlanta then traded Doncic to Dallas for Young.
2. The Lakers drafted Mo Wagner from Michigan with the 25th pick in the first round.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jamies Winston will be suspended for the first three games of the season by the NFL for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.
4. The Lakers were rebuffed by the San Antonio Spurs during a phone call regarding Kawhi Leonard. “They basically shut the door on us,” said a Laker source.
5. The Baltimore Orioles are the worst team in baseball at 21-52.
6. Croatia beat Argentina 3-0 sending Argentina to the brink of elimination in the World Cup.
7. Former Washington Capitals head coach Barry Trotz, who resigned after winning the Stanley Cup, is named the new head coach of the New York Islanders.
8. On this day in 1993 New York Mets pitcher Anthony Young ties a MLB record with his 23rd straight loss.
9. Also on this day in 1994 the Houston Rockets beat the New York Knicks in Game 7 to win the NBA championship.
10. Former NBA star Clyde “The Glide” Drexler turns 56 today.