1. Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer is placed on paid administrative leave due to an investigation of a 2015 domestic violence claim against assistant Zach Smith. Smith has been fired but allegations are that Meyer may have known of the claim three years ago but did not act.
2. Not so breaking news: Former Whittier Christian head coach Sergio Gradilla is the new HC at Duarte.
3. Alabama has opened as the number one team in the Coaches Poll followed by Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia and Oklahoma.
4. The Baltimore Ravens beat the Chicago Bears 17-16 in the NFL Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio Thursday night.
5. Brian Dozier went three for four with a home run in his Dodger debut Wednesday night in a 6-4 win over Milwaukee and followed that up with four RBI including a three-run home run Thursday night in a 21-5 rout of the Brewers. The Dodgers had 18 hits in the contest including seven home runs and the 21 runs scored is a Dodger Stadium record.
6. Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson is mourning the death of his mother and brother in the last two weeks.
7. The Smudgepot (San Dimas vs. Bonita) will be played at Covina District Field this year on Saturday night September 8 at 7:00 p.m.
8. On this day in 1989 the Cincinnati Reds set an MLB record for most hits in the first inning of a game with 16 as they score 14 runs and go on to rout the Houston Astros 18-1.
9. Former LA Kings star Marcel Dionne turns 67 today.
10. “I had an opportunity many, many times to go to the Playboy Mansion with Hugh Hefner. Jerry Buss asked me many times and you know what, looking back that was stupid of me not going there.”- Marcel Dionne.