1. Milwaukee Brewers beat the Colorado Rockies 3-2 in Game One of the NLDS.
2.The New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox open the ALDS Friday night in Boston. Cleveland is at Houston Friday in Game One of the ALDS.
3. Dodgers shut out the Atlanta Braves 6-0 in Game One of the NLDS.
4. Forward Tom Wilson of the Washington Capitals is suspended for 20 games by the NHL for an illegal check to the head of St. Louis Blues forward Oskar Sundqvist in last Sunday’s preseason game.
5. Ton Brady throws the 500th touchdown pass of his career to Josh Gordon in New England’s 38-24 win over Indianapolis.
6. The Baltimore Orioles fired manager Buck Showalter after a 47-115 season. Showalter took over as the Orioles manager in August 2010.
7. Former Clemson running back C.J. Fuller, 22, has passed away. No details as to the cause of death have been released.
8. Dodger pitcher Ross Stripling, who was invited to the All-Star Game in July as a starter, is left off the playoff roster. Veteran second baseman Chase Utley, who announced he will retire after this season, was also left off.
9. On this date in 1991 Fresno St. set a record for points in a quarter, 49 in the second, in a 94-17 rout of New Mexico.
10. Former Duke/NBA star Grant Hill turns 46 today.