1. Pittsburgh Steers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake died suddenly at the age of 62 Sunday.
2. The Oakland Raiders beat the Rams 14-3 in the first preseason game Saturday night. The San Francisco 49ers beat the Dallas Cowboys 17-9.
3. The High School Football season officially kicks off this Friday night August 16 as Pasadena takes on St. Genevieve at LA Valley College.
4. Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown threatens to quit football if he is not allowed to wear his old helmet that is now prohibited by the NFL.
5. LAFC beat the New York Red Bulls 4-2 Sunday to improve to 16-3-4 – best in the Western Conference. DC United beat the LA Galaxy 2-1. The Galaxy dropped to 12-11-1.
6. U.S Gymnast Simone Biles performed a historic clean triple-double in the floor exercise Sunday on her way to her sixth all-around title.
7. The Cleveland Indians beat Minnesota 7-3 Sunday to pull into a first place tie with the Twins in the AL Central.
8. The Dodgers beat Arizona 9-3 Sunday and are now 79-41, 19 games ahead of the Diamondbacks in the NL West.
9. Former NFL receiver Plaxico Burress turns 42 today.
10. On this day in 1970 Curt Flood lost his $41 million antitrust suit against baseball. Although Flood’s legal challenge was unsuccessful it brought about solidarity among players as they fought against baseball’s reserve clause and sought free agency.