1. The Boston Red Sox fired manager Alex Cora in light of the sign stealing schemes Cora has been linked to involving the Red Sox and the Houston Astros.
2. Major League Baseball announced punishment for the Astros which included one-year suspensions for GM Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch, loss of draft picks in 2020 and 2021 and a $5 million fine for using technology to cheat during its 2017 World Series winning season. The Astros subsequently fired Hinch and Luhnow.
3. The Minnesota Twins signed free agent third baseman Josh Donaldson to a four-year, $92 million deal.
4. LSU completed a perfect 15-0 run in a 42-25 win over Clemson Monday night to win the National Championship.
5. LSU quarterback Joe Burrow completed 31 of 49 for 463 yards and 5 touchdowns in the win. Burrow threw 60 touchdown passes on the season, the most ever for one season in college football.
6. LA Chargers tight end Antonio Gates announced his retirement after 16 years.
7. Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly ,28, announced his retirement after eight years.
8. LSU’s passing coordinator Joe Brady is headed to Carolina as offensive coordinator.
9. Former Pasadena star Bryce Hamilton is averaging 11.5 points and 5 rebounds per game in his sophomore season at UNLV.
10. On this day in 1994 New York Giants Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor announces his retirement from the NFL.