1. Alabama – Did what they needed to do and man handled Arkansas 35-7. Get a 2-1 Kentucky team that lost to Florida this week and will stay here unless lightning strikes.
2. Texas – Took care of business against UTEP. Yeah it was UTEP but it was 64-7 as well. The Longhorns should hold on to the two spot with Colorado coming to town this Saturday.
3. Florida – Beat a 2-0 Kentucky team 41-7 and Next to Tennessee it was their toughest test yet. Finally play a top 25 team this week…LSU
4. Cincy – 28-20 win over Fresno St. and combined with the three teams above them losing, the Bearcats are in at number four! Armon Binns (Pasadena) gets two catches for 17-yards.
5. LSU- Escaped with a 30-26 win over Mississippi St. Benefit as well from the losses if front of them. A win this Saturday over Florida could shake things up in the top three.
6. USC – Trojans get Barkley back and get back into the “W” column. It would have been nicer to see more than 27 on the board but they did give a taste of their superiority.
7. Boise St – 4-0 with a wins including Oregon, Fresno St. and Bowling Green. Bowling Green however doesn’t have many teams shaking in their shoes about playing them. Playing UC Davis this week won’t turn any heads either.
8. VA Tech – Knocked off Miami with an impressive 31-7 win to break into the top ten. Should handle Duke with ease and will stand tough at the eight spot.
9. Ole Miss – Took one on the chin with a 16-10 loss at the hands of the “Old Ball Coach” and South Carolina.
10. Houston – Back to back wins over Oklahoma St. and Texas Tech have people taking notice of Case Keenum and the Cougars. Phi Slama Jama their not but watching Keenum throw for 453 is a blast!
Plus others in the top 25 recognized for local talent:
BYU – Cougars get a solid conference win 42-23 over Colorado State. Lee Aguirre (South El Monte) did see some time on the field, just not enough for us!
Oregon – Broke into top 25 with a pasting of Cal 42-3. Lost Walter Thurmond III (West Covina) for the rest of the season with knee injury.
Oregon State- No longer in the top 25 after a loss to Pac 10 opponent Arizona 37-32. Lance Mitchell (Muir) had six tackles and two pass break-ups.