(“The Ten” is not a top ten, but ten items worth being included in The TEN)
1. The IRS will be auctioning off the remaining annuity (approximately 1.28 million) from the deferred compensation Darryl Strawberry agreed to when he signed a six-year contract with the Mets almost 30 years ago. Minimum bid will be $550,000 roughly the amount Strawberry owes in back taxes he failed to pay from 1987 to 1990.
2. Jim Harbaugh expected to be named the next head coach at Michigan today.
3. The APU Cougars will look to push their PacWest record to 6-0 Saturday at home against Holy Names University.
4. Wayne Gretzky was named the AP Athlete of the Decade on this day in 1989.
5. Rex Ryan, Mike Smith and Marc Trestmant are canned by the Jets, Falcons and Bears respectively.
6. New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton shares a birthday today with the late great Green Bay Packer linebacker Ray Nitschke.
7. The Covina Colts take on Burroughs Ridgecrest today at 2:30 at Covina High School in the Covina Christmas Tournament.
8. On this day in 1965 CBS purchases NFL TV rights for the 1966-68 seasons at 18.8 million per year.
9. Former Dodger and Yankee pitcher Hiroki Kuroda to return to Japan to pitch for the Hiroshima Toyo Carp. Kuroda will turn 40 in February.
10. “That’s what you work all season for. To get into the playoff games and you don’t want to blow it.” Ray Nitschke