(“The TEN” is not a top ten but ten items worth being included in “The TEN”) Late Edition
1. The girls basketball team at Fountain Valley, which finished 0-26 in the regular season, was awarded an at large playoff berth in the Division 1AA bracket.
2. Russell Westbrook scores 31 points and leads the West to a 196-173 win over the East to win the NBA All-Star game MVP for the second straight year. Kobe Bryant, in his last All-Star game, finishes with 10 points, seven assists and six rebounds.
3. Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is mentioned in a lawsuit filed by a group of women against the University of Tennessee that says the school created a “hostile sexual environment” through a policy of indifference toward assaults by student athletes.
4. The Chicago Bears will not sign running back Matt Forte, who will become a free agent March 9.
5. “They wanted me to apply but I’m not going to,” – Former Duarte HC Wardell Crutchfield on the Monrovia HC position.
6. The 369 combined points in the All-Star game set a record for most points ever scored in the game.
7. On this date in 1978 Leon Spinks beats Muhammad Ali in 15 rounds to win the heavyweight boxing title.
8. Also on this date in 1996 Bill Belichick is fired by the Cleveland Browns with an overall record of 36-44 in five years.
9. Happy Birthday to former Cinncinati Bengals quarterback Kenny Anderson who turns 67 today and former Dodger Ron Cey who turns 68.
10. “I know a lot of people think I’m dumb. Well, at least I ain’t no educated fool.” – Leon Spinks.