(“The TEN” is not a top ten but ten items worth being included in “The TEN”)
1. “Those fans, that left…I say SHAME on you. SHAME on you. You’re not a loyal Kansas fan. These kids deserve better. I said it then, and I’ll say it now. Played their hearts out. A lot of people, you saw, packed their bags, going home.“- ESPN announcer Dick Vitale Monday night on the Kansas fans leaving with less than three minutes left and Kansas trailing West Virginia by 14 points. Kansas rallied to win in overtime.
2. Former New Orleans Saints receiver Robert Meacham is jailed for failing to pay $400,000 in child support and alimony.
3. Kansas City Royals reliever Brian Flynn breaks a rib and suffers three minor vertebrae fractures in his back after falling through a barn roof on his property. He will be out eight weeks.
4. Charter Oak at San Dimas, tonight 7:00 p.m. – CIF playoffs, first round.
5. Former Alhambra/La Habra football player Vai Peko signed to play for the Fursty Razorbacks in Fuerstenfeldbruck, Germany.
6. Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, 77, has been diagnosed with throat cancer but he expects to be on the field when spring practice opens next month.
7. On this date in 1978 Leon Spinks beats Muhammad Ali by decision in 15 rounds to win the heavyweight boxing title.
8. Happy birthday to former UCLA guard Tyus Edney who turns 44 today.
9. Gabrielino has won six consecutive Mission Valley League titles going 63-1 in the MVL during that span. The Eagles host Brentwood tonight in he first round of the playoffs.
10. “I know a lot of people think I’m dumb. At least I ain’t no educated fool.” – Leon Spinks.