(“The TEN” is not a top ten but ten items worth being included in “The TEN”)
1. The Dodgers beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 8-5 to improve to 54 games above .500 at 89-35.
2. The Boston Celtics acquire guard Kyrie Irving from the Cleveland Cavaliers for point guard Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and Brooklyn’s unprotected 2018 first round pick.
3. The Dodgers placed rookie Cody Bellinger and pitcher Alex Wood on the 10-day disabled list.
4. “I know it was a preseason game but that couldn’t have gotten any uglier in my opinion.” LA Chargers HC Anthony Lynn after the Chargers 13-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints last Sunday.
5. Texas A&M at UCLA, Sunday September 3, 4:30 p.m.
6. New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft gave President Donald Trump a Super Bowl LI ring.
7. On this date in 1982 Seattle Mariners pitcher Gaylord Perry is ejected for throwing a spitter.
8. Kobe Bryant turns 39 today.
9. Dodger outfielder Curtis Granderson became the first player in MLB history to hit two grand-slams for different teams in a four day span when he hit his shot Monday night in Pittsburgh.
10. “Greaseball, greaseball, greaseball, that’s all I throw him (Rod Carew), and he still hits them. He’s the only player in baseball who consistently hits my grease. He sees the ball so well, I guess he can pick out the dry side.”- Gaylord Perry.