1. Wilton Speight, a transfer from Michigan, is announced as the starting quarterback for UCLA in the opener against Cincinnati Saturday.
2. USC vs. UNLV, Saturday, 1:00 p.m. LA Memorial Coliseum.
3. The New Orleans Saints beat the Los Angeles Rams 28-0 Thursday night in the final exhibition game. The Rams finish the preseason at 2-2.
4. Elvis Dumervil who had a 105.5 sacks in a 12-year NFL career, announced his retirement. Dumervil played seven years with the Denver Broncos and four with the Baltimore Ravens before finishing last year with the San Francisco 49ers.
5. Linebacker Mychal Kendricks was released by the Cleveland Browns after being charged by federal prosecutors for insider trading to make nearly $1.2 million in illegal profits on major investments four years ago. Kendricks spent his first six seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles.
6. The Rams are reportedly close to signing defensive end Aaron Donald and are expecting him to be in the lineup in the Monday night September 10th opener against the Oakland Raiders.
7. New York Yankees slugger Giancarlo Stanton became the fifth fastest player to hit the 300 home run plateau when he blasted a two-run shot against the Detroit Tigers Thursday night.
8. “EM beating SM 27-20. It’ll be worse than that. LOL” – MVS Commenter “Anonymous”.
9. On this date in 1990 Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. become the first father and son to play on the same team as each goes for 1 for 4 for the Seattle Mariners.
10. Arizona Cardinal receiver Larry Fitzgerald turns 35 today.