(“The Ten” is not a top ten, but ten items worth being included in The TEN)
1. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suspends New Orleans Saints’ Head Coach Sean Payton for one year without pay and DC Gregg Williams indefinitely for the cash bounty system. The Saints were also fined $500,000 and had their 2012 and 2013 draft picks taken away.
2. Denver trades Tim Tebow to the New York Jets for a fourth and a sixth round draft pick.
3. Derek Fisher scores five points in 19 minutes in his Oklahoma City debut.
4. North Carolina guard Kendall Marshall’s status for the NCAA Midwest Region semifinal game against Ohio Friday is undetermined.
5. Alhambra Center Thomas Richetts.
6. The state of Ohio has four teams in the Sweet Sixteen.
7. Dodgers left-hander Ted Lilly has won 10 games or more for nine consecutive seasons.
8. USC basketball players Alexis Moore, Curtis Washington and Garrett Jackson have all asked for their releases so they can transfer in the last week.
9. Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward retires as the franchise’s all time leader in every major receiving category including receptions, yards and touchdowns.
10. On this date in 1984 Indiana, led by Steve Alford’s 27 points, beat number one ranked North Carolina 72-68 in the East Regional semifinals. Tar Heels’ junior guard Michael Jordan is held to 13 points.