By Joseph Rodriguez
In a scene from Remember the Titans Coach Boone, played by Denzel Washington, was questioned about the complexity of the offensive playbook. Coach Boone replied “I run six plays… its like Novocain, just give it time it always works.”
This seemed to be the offense philosophy Chaffey had going into Friday night’s game against the Colony Titans, and it almost worked. But unfortunately for the Tigers “If you live by the run, you die by the run.” What at one point in the game was their greatest advantage led to their own demise. Down 15-13 at the half Colony made the necessary adjustment to negate Chaffey’s rushing attack by playing tight, stacking eight players in the box on defense to plug all running lanes. Colony held Chaffey scoreless in the second half while scoring 14 points to win by a final of 27-15.
Colony opened the game with the ball and drove 74 yards capped by an 11 yard touchdown to go up early 7-0 with 8:20 in the first. Chaffey answered on their following possession, eating close to seven minutes of the game clock, scoring on a 1 yard run by James Leon. Chaffey converted the two point conversion to go up 8-7. On Chaffey’s second possession of the game, they gave Colony more of the same it gave on its first drive; running straight up the middle and occasionally off tackle. The Tigers’ 14 play drive started on its own 11 and ended on a two-yard run to put them up 15-7 with 3:37 left in the second. On the ensuring kick off The Titans Ryan Kinard took the kickoff 90 yards for a score to cut the lead to 15-13 after a failed two point conversion.
Chaffey’s rushing game did two things in the first half; it kept Colony’s offense off the field and wore down the Colony’s defense. At the half it seemed as if this game plan may come up big for the Tigers. But in the third The Titans scored to take the lead 20-15. With a little more than six minutes left in the fourth, the Tigers drove down into Titans territory to the 48 before turning the ball over on a fumble. Colony capitalized on the turnover and scored with 4:14 in the fourth to put the game out of reach for the Tigers.
- Colony’s Josh Thompson was 12/19 158 yds. Passing and rushed for 60 yds. on 12 carries with 1 rushing TD
- Colony’s Ryan Kinard carried the ball 8 times for 43 yds. 1TD, 1 kickoff return for TD
- Chaffey’s James Leon was ¼ 19 yds. passing, 6 carries for 23 yds. 1 rushing TD
- Chaffey’s James Oxier had 19 carries for 101 yds. 1 rushing TD
- Chaffey’s Mikey Dean had 21 carries for 129 yds. 1 rushing TD
- Colony takes control of the Mt. Baldy League with the win to bring their mark to 3-0 in league
- Chaffey is at Alta Loma next week (Game played on Thursday Oct 30)
- Colony is at Don Lugo next week (Game played on Thursday Oct 30)