(“The TEN” is not a top ten but ten items worth being included in “The TEN”)
1. The Oakland Raiders agree to terms on a 10-year $100 million contract with Jon Gruden.
2. The Las Vegas Golden Knights are 9-1 in their last 10 games and have increased their lead in the Pacific Division to seven points over the Kings.
3. Former head coaches Mack Brown and Frank Beamer (Texas, Virginia Tech) are among the 13 players and coaches selected to enter the College Football HOF. Other notables also entering are Calvin Johnson, Ed Reed and Charles Woodson.
4. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL are negotiating with Johnny Manziel on a contract.
5. Michael Jordan scored his 20,000th career point on this day in 1993. Jordan finished with 32,292 for his career.
6. “May the Lakers rest in peace. Magic Johnson is no Jerry West when it comes to evaluating talent, and that hard cap is real. If we want to re-live the excitement of the glory days, we have our old VHS tapes.” MidValley commenter Showtime.
7. Covina’s Allison Ayala is current 6th in scoring in the Southern Section averaging 24.4 ppg.
8. On this day in 1962 at the age of 21, Jack Nicklaus made his professional golf debut and came in 50th.
9. Maranatha’s Chris Austin is averaging 24.1 ppg. which is good for 12th in scoring in the Southern Section.
10. “Sometimes your biggest problem is in your head. You’ve got to believe you can play a shot instead of wondering where your next bad shot is coming from.” Jack Nicklaus