By George Hernandez
1. Georges St. Pierre (20-2, UFC WW Champ) – King of the welterweights, has already ran through the division.
2. Jon Fitch (22-3) – Already lost to GSP but is probably the number one contender.
3. Josh Koscheck (15-4) – Gets next shot at GSP, already has lost to him once.
4. Nick Diaz (22-7, Strikeforce WW Champ) – Not in the UFC; probably the biggest threat to take the crown.
5. Thiago Alves (16-6) – Has been out of action for a while. Will face Fitch next as he tries to avenge an earlier loss.
6. Martin Kampmann (17-3) – A win over newly signed Jake Shields could get him next shot at title.
7. Dan Hardy (23-7) – Ready to get back on track after a loss to GSP.
8. Matt Hughes (44-7) – Almeida is next in line to meet the legend.
9. Matt Serra (11-6) – Probably the most overrated fighter in the division.
10. Carlos Condit (25-5) – Trying to make a run at the title.
11. Jay Hieron (19-4) – Out of action recently, Hieron needs to get some fights if he wants a shot at Diaz.
12. Richardo Almeida (12-3) – Hughes will be a big win for “Cachorrao”.
13. Paulo Thiago (13-2) – Almost had a title shot before loss to Kampmann.
14. Paul Daley (23-9-2) – Could still be in UFC if he didn’t throw that punch after the bell.
15. John Hathaway (13-0) – Win over Sanchez was big.
16. Lyman Good (10-0, Bellator WW Champ) – Needs to be in the UFC to make a name for himself.
17. Ben Askren (6-0) – Best wrestler in the division.
18. Dan Hornbuckle (21-3) – One of the most well rounded fighters in the division. Hornbuckle is a poor mans GSP.
19. John Howard (14-4) – Knockout power in both hands.
20. Chris Lytle (28-17-5) – Is a threat to anyone in the division.
- July 30- #7 area fighter Anthony Olivas will be in action at El Monte Expo, also on the card will be Jerry Flores cornered by Donald Bernard as he faces Craig Dunlop in a welterweight bout.
- July 31- #6 fighter Isreal “Izzy” Flores will be in action at Hollywood Park in a Muay Thai bout.