1. Alabama – Knocked off Kentucky handily and will face Mid Valley #9 Ole Miss this Saturday. Crimson Tide defense should keep Jevan Sneed in check.
2. Texas – Bye week for the Longhorns. We don’t move teams up or down base on byes. Colorado should be no match for Colt McCoy and Longhorn athleticism.
3. Florida – See Texas. Travel down to the bayou to finally face a top 25 team. Question is will Tebow be healthy enough to play?
4. Cincy – Improve to 5-0 with a win over intra-state rival Miami (OH) 37-13. Armon Binns (Pasadena) gets five catches for 83-yards and a touchdown.
5. LSU- Hung on to beat Georgia 20-13. Get a visit this week from Mid Valley #3 Florida. Get a win and #2 ranking as Texas plays a weaker opponent in Colorado.
6. USC – Men of Troy traveled north to Strawberry Canyon to face Cal. Offense drops 30 on a top 24 team while defense holds Javhid Best in check and limits Bears to a measly three points.
7. Boise St – 34-16 win at home over UC Davis keeps Broncos undefeated. But, then again this was UC Davis so the score should have been 54-16. Better keep looking over their shoulders. Eight, nine and ten all have tougher schedules.
8. VA Tech – Nice win over Duke 34-26 but get a tougher test this week with Boston College. Not much chance to move unless someone above loses.
9. Ole Miss – Got back in the win column 23-7 over Vanderbilt. Get Mid Valley #1 this week. No way Ole Miss survives three interceptions against Alabama. Snead will need to be mistake free for the Rebels to have a chance.
10. Iowa – Houston’s 54-41 loss at UTEP is Iowa’s gain. A win two weeks ago against Penn St. had the Hawkeyes on the move. A win this week against Michigan will solidify the spot.
Plus others in the top 25 recognized for local talent:
BYU – Cougars host Utah St. and are not too hospitable sending the Aggies home with a 35-17 loss. Lee Aguirre (South El Monte) did see some time on the field but had no recorded stats. For the Aggies, Chris Harris (Duarte) saw some time as well but no stats.
Oregon – Blasted Washington State 52-3. Still listed on this report due to Walter Thurmond III (West Covina). Thurmond is done for the season with a knee injury.
Lance Mitchell (Muir) update – Mitchell had six tackles and two pass break-ups in the win over Arizona State.