First poll of the year: La Mirada established itself as a power with a huge win over Tesoro, while NorRock walked over Bell. Salesian’s win over Muir was impressive and Burbank gained respect with a road win over Ayala. Let the arguments begin.
1. La Mirada (1-0) – Nobody other than Mike Moschetti thought the Matadores would win.
2. Norwalk (1-0) – Nobody thought the Lancers would lose.
3. Salesian (1-0) – So the off season reports coming out of Salesian were true.
4. Burbank (1-0) – Bulldogs prove to be road warriors.
5. Cathedral (0-0) – Good Division test this week against Muir.
6. St. Francis (0-0) – Four of first five games are at home.
7. La Serna (0-1) – Loss to tough Ralston Valley doesn’t diminish Lancers hopes.
8. Muir (0-1) – Mustangs hurt by injuries; should bounce back this week.
9. La Salle (1-0) – Lancers did what they had to do against Compton.
10. Downey (1-0) – Vikings rally to beat Mayfair; after all it’s still Downey.
In the mix: (Crescenta Valley (0-0), Paramount (1-0), El Rancho (1-0), Santa Fe (0-1), Bellflower (1-0).