1. The Philadelphia 76ers offered All-Star guard Ben Simmons a five-year, $170 million max extension.
2. The U.S. Women’s soccer team beat England 2-1 to advance to the World Cup Final.
3. Colin Kaepernick reached out to Nike saying that he and others felt that the Betsy Ross flag is an offensive symbol because of its connection to an era of slavery. Nike then struck down a plan to release a shoe featuring the original version of the U.S. flag.
4. “Former Rosemead HC Matt Koffler has his son at Edison putting on a show at Battle at the Beach on Saturday. Cole Koffler 6’3’ 180lbs WR. Kids a stud. He caught two TDs against a pretty good Poly team and was a standout in the whole tournament.” – MVS Commenter “Mead CS”.
5. The high school football season kicks off Thursday night, August 22.
6. The Turkey Tussle (Pasadena-Muir) which had been moved to Friday August 23 has been moved back to Thursday October 31 due to a scheduling conflict at the Rose Bowl.
7. The Lakers signed free-agent forward Jared Dudley to a one-year, $2.6 million deal.
8. The Golden State Warriors are set to sign free-agent center Willie Cauley-Stein to a one-year contract.
9. Covina’s and Northview’s fireworks stands are literally across the street from each other in Industry.
10. The Kawhi Leonard decision is still pending.