The TEN: 3/11/2020

(“The TEN” is not a top ten but ten items worth being included in “The TEN”)

1. The Azusa Pacific basketball team is the number two seed in the 2020 NCAA Division 2 Men’s Tournament that tips off Friday at UC San Diego.

2. The Pac 12 Men’s basketball Tournament tips off Wednesday in Las Vegas.

3. The Mid-American Conference on Tuesday announced a “restricted attendance policy” for its men’s and women’s post season tournaments in Cleveland, closing both events to the general public. The Big West Men’s Tournament at Honda Center and the Women’s tournament at the Long Beach Pyramid will also be played without spectators as a precaution for preventing the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

4. Monrovia’s 2020 non-league schedule: at Northview, West Covina, at Arcadia, Los Altos, South Hills, at Arroyo.

5. The Carolina Panthers re-signed quarterback Kyle Allen to a one-year deal.

6. The Pittsburgh Steelers will play the Dallas Cowboys in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio on August 6th.

7. The Cleveland Cavaliers agreed to a four-year deal with head coach J.B. Bickerstaff. Bickerstaff took over for John Beilein who was fired last month.

8. Texas Rangers outfielder Willie Calhoun underwent surgery to repair a broken jaw a day after being hit by Dodger pitcher Julio Urias.

9. NBC Sports has declined ESPN’s initial request to engage in trade talks to acquire announcer Al Michaels, according to sources.

10. Lakers Center Anthony Davis turns 27 today.

5 Comments to "The TEN: 3/11/2020"

  1. Ron Vrooman, AHS stat man's Gravatar Ron Vrooman, AHS stat man
    March 13, 2020 - 5:53 pm | Permalink

    MLB has delayed Opening Day until at least April 10. That’s probably a prudent move, given the huge crowds that will be in attendance. The greater the number of people congregated in one place, the more likely it is for an infectious disease to be rapidly spread.
    I’m not quite as sure about the school closures that were just announced today in the L.A. area.
    For instance, there haven’t been any cases of coronavirus within the Alhambra School District up to now, but the campuses there will be closed to students until at least April 7. (The three weeks in question cover 10 school days and the previously-scheduled spring break.)
    In the meantime, the district will institute “distance learning.” Teachers and students will be communicating via the internet.
    In general, it’s better to be safe than sorry; only time will tell whether measures such as these are proportional to the actual spread of the disease.

  2. Insider's Gravatar Insider
    March 13, 2020 - 2:18 am | Permalink

    Boy we got a bunch of red caps on here that believe like their president it is all a hoax and nothing needs be done different. Well ask the two countries that took your advice and lived their lives like it was just the flu. Italy and Iran. In Iran they are digging mass graves and in Italy people are stuck at home not allowed to leave with dead family members in the next room. So go to Seattle and tour around, it’s the perfect time.

  3. RAMS FAN's Gravatar RAMS FAN
    March 12, 2020 - 10:49 am | Permalink

    #3 My personal feeling is we are over reacting to this virus, unless there is something they are not telling us(probable) With opening day for the Dodgers and Angels just 15 days away I can see our idiot governor banning all events with more than 2 people in attendance. So what happens to the economy when the teams, the venues, the vendors, the transportation networks all get shut down? Concerts, plays, and movie theaters all get closed? Wash your hands, often, don’t go to work sick, and use some common sense because it’s flu season anyway, and let’s live life.

  4. Contagious's Gravatar Contagious
    March 12, 2020 - 8:53 am | Permalink

    There’s a doomsday virus out there, and your chances of getting it are 2%. At the same time, if you DO get it, your chances of surviving the thing are 98%. The odds of our media continuing to pound the negative aspects of this, ignoring the stories of those who have recovered from this infection, stand at a predictable 100%. Stay worried, my friends.

  5. SGV's Gravatar SGV
    March 11, 2020 - 9:48 pm | Permalink

    Clearly the high school baseball and 2020 football seasons will have to be cancelled until a cure is found hopefully some time in the summer of 2021. Maybe all sports and graduation exercises.

Leave a Reply