1. Desmond Reed-Ultimate competitor. Did it all. 4 year Varsity Starter. Never wanted to leave the field. WR/DB/RB/KR/Punter as Senior, seriously. Just a joy to coach. Most unreal athlete I coached.
2. Matt Malczynski-Ultimate team leader. Mature beyond his years. Threw an incredible deep ball. No situation was too big. As close to a coach on the field as I ever had. Owns his own Law Firm in Glendora, HCM.
3. Stephen Brown-Ultimate swiss army knife. Played WR/RB/SS/TE. Family full of elite ballers at TC. Could ask him to do anything and he did it well. Ball hawk and hammer in the secondary. Think Honey Badger.
4. Tommy Bullock-Ultimate Tough Guy. MLB/FB/OT. Rare size and speed for us at TC. Absolute sledgehammer at the point of attack. Paved the way for Kenji Morinaga to rush for over 400 yards against South Pas. Heck of a baseball player too.
5. Dwight Broadnax– Ultimate impersonator. Closest thing to Reed since Reed. Wanted 22 but we gave him 2. The Deuce was born. Everything about him mirrored Des. Think Michael then Kobe. Highlights of him floating around on YouTube.
Mooney’s Top 5 as an assistant
Danny Loyd – QB SM. Mr. All-American. All CIF in Football, Basketball, and CIF Player of the Year in baseball in 94-95. Unreal competitor. Now a head coach in Texas.
Sal Tovar – RB, South El Monte – You all know what he did if you’re on this board at all. Knew he was special when I coached him with the Jets!
Daniel Olmos – QB/S-South El Monte – Another kid who you should know if you’re on this board. In the same mold as Malczynski and Loyd as a QB, but also a savage tackler and cover guy. Double duty as a senior. Simply a stud. Coached him as a Jet too.
Rolandis Whitner – All Purpose Arcadia – Closest thing to Reed and Broadnax I’ve coached. Unreal athlete. Explosive and dynamic.
DeMarco Moorer – RB/LB Arcadia
Explosive. Tough. Barely tapped his potential but for 1 year he was a workhorse on the CIF run at Arcadia.