1. The Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for guard Chris Paul, first round picks in 2024 and 2026 and pick swaps in 2021 and 2025.
2 Free agent forward Marcus Morris reneged on a verbal agreement to sign with San Antonio Spurs and signed a one-year, $15 million deal with the New York Knicks.
3 Kelly Oubre Jr. has agreed to a two-year, $30 million deal to stay with the Phoenix Suns.
4. LA Chargers running back Melvin Gordon has informed the team that he will not report to training camp and will demand a trade unless he receives a new contract. Gordon is set to make $5.6 million this year in the last year of his contract, a fifth year option.
5. Former New York Jets head coach Walt Michaels passed away at the age of 89.
6. The Dodgers get a World Series rematch this weekend with a three game series at Fenway Park against the Boston Red Sox.
7. LAFC has the best record in MLS at 13-2-4 (43 points).
8. The Dodgers, at 60-32, had the best record in baseball at the All-Star break.
9. On this date in 1979 “Disco Demolition Night” is held at Comiskey Park in Chicago. The fans go wild destroying disco records and cause the White Sox to forfeit the second game of a doubleheader with the Detroit Tigers.
10. USC kicks off the season Saturday, August 31st at the Coliseum against Fresno State.