1. The Cincinnati Bengals sign head coach Marvin Lewis to a two-year extension.
2. Alabama vs. Georgia – National Championship game, Mercedes-Benz Stadium Atlanta – Monday January 8, 5:00 p.m.
3. Isaiah Thomas scored 17 points in his debut for Cleveland to spark the Cavaliers to a 127-110 win over Portland Tuesday night.
4. Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer announced his retirement Tuesday. Palmer, who also played with the Bengals and the Raiders in a 14-year NFL career, was the first overall pick in 2003.
5. The Colorado Rockies signed free agent reliever Wade Davis to a three-year, $52 million deal. Davis had 32 saves for the Chicago Cubs last year.
6. Houston Rockets guard James Harden will be out two weeks with a strained hamstring.
7. Arizona fired head coach Rich Rodriguez after six seasons in the wake of a sexual harassment allegation that the university is investigating.
8. Pasadena is 6-5 overall heading into Wednesday night’s Pacific League opener against Crescenta Valley.
9. On this day in 1983 Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett set an NFL record with a 99-yard touchdown run against the Minnesota Vikings. Don Meredith called it “99 and a half!” on ABC.
10. Former Los Angeles Ram quarterback Jim Everett turns 55 today.