(“The TEN” is not a top ten but ten items worth being included in “The TEN”) Kobe Bryant Edition:
With the tragic death of Kobe Bryant at the age of 41 and his daughter Gianna last January 26th in a helicoptor crash our “One Year Ago” series is dedicated to the LA icon in this edition of “The TEN”.
1. Kobe Bryant won five NBA championships with the Lakers, the last being in 2010 in seven games against the Boston Celtics. Bryant won his second straight NBA Finals MVP.
2. Bryant won one NBA MVP Award – in 2008.
3. Bryant scored 33,643 points in his career which is currently fourth on the NBA all-time list.
4. Bryant played 20 years with the Lakers – from 1996 to 2016.
5. Bryant made the NBA All-Star team 18 times in his 20 year career and was the MVP of the All-Star game four times.
6. On January 22, 2006 Bryant scored 81 points in a 122-104 win over the Toronto Raptors, which was the second-highest point total in NBA history, surpassed only by Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 point game in 1962.
7. In his last NBA game on April 13, 2016 Bryant scored 60 points in a 101-96 win over the Utah Jazz. He became the oldest player to score 60 or more points in a game at 37 years and 234 days old.
8. In 2018 Bryant won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film for his film “Dear Basketball”.
9. Bryant has numbers 8 and 24 retired by the Los Angeles Lakers.