Sepulveda Dismissed at Mt. View

Aaron Sepulveda is out as the head coach at Mt. View.

By Tim Peterson
(El Monte) – Aaron Sepulveda has been dismissed as the head football coach at Mountain View after two seasons he confirmed Tuesday.

The Vikings went 1-18 under Sepulveda including 0-10 last season. They finished last in the Mission Valley League in both years.

“I formally met with Principal Jose Marquez regarding the future of Mountain View High School Football, and I have been officially dismissed as Head Football Coach. It was an amicable meeting, and although I fully intended to proceed with my duties as MVHS head football coach in 2020, I support our administration’s decision to ‘go in another direction,” Sepulveda wrote in e mail.

“For the record, during my brief stint as Head Football Coach at Mountain View High School, I was thoroughly supported by our administration, athletic director, staff, and stakeholders; and for that, I am truly thankful. I offer absolutely no excuses for the failure to produce football victories under my leadership. I take full responsibility for any unfavorable outcomes, and I greatly appreciate the opportunity I was given. Failure to produce favorable results places our administration in a difficult position, and I have too much respect for our administration to desire to prolong the current trend. I completely understand the coaching change.

My heart is at peace knowing that my players never quit and persevered through to the conclusion of the season with class and courage. I thank all players and coaches for their effort and dedication. For the time being, I will continue to serve MVHS as an enthusiastic teacher and support our student-athletes throughout their high school journeys. Mountain View High School has been good to me and I will return the favor by serving as an instrumental piece to the school’s overall vision and mission,” Sepulveda added.

Sepulveda also recognized some of the local coaches for their success. “Lastly, I’d like to offer my congratulations to Jim Singiser for his highly prolific coaching career, to Eric Bergstrom for leading Alhambra Football to the Almont League title, and to Jesse Ceniceros and the El Monte Lions for their historic monumental achievement in winning the State Championship,” he wrote.

Mountain View will begin the search for a new head coach immediately.

18 Comments to "Sepulveda Dismissed at Mt. View"

1. MVS's Gravatar MVS
    January 17, 2020 - 10:43 pm | Permalink

They didn’t get it. Lol

2. Anthony Duran's Gravatar Anthony Duran
    January 17, 2020 - 1:14 pm | Permalink

Jude Olivia and Anthony White was Spotted on Campus Thursday…
    From T. Peterson: At Mt. View or Pioneer?

3. Tin's Gravatar Tin
    January 17, 2020 - 11:47 am | Permalink

Don’t sleep on a Paramo hire

4. Rise-O-Rama's Gravatar Rise-O-Rama
    January 17, 2020 - 10:21 am | Permalink

Correction: Matt Logan went 9-3 last season, and 5-0 in league. Do you really not understand that my use of his name was a joke? Please make a note, for future reference, that Logan, Rollinson and Negro constitute the Mount Rushmore of southland coaches. They would all leap to their deaths off a tall building before they would take the Pioneer job.

5. SoCal's Gravatar SoCal
    January 16, 2020 - 4:57 pm | Permalink

Logan went 2-8 last season with all that talent. What makes you think he is going to win at Pioneer? If you are a winner, you will win everywhere and vice versa

6. MVS's Gravatar MVS
    January 16, 2020 - 4:26 pm | Permalink

Can’t be a “yes man” and expect to get the job done as a head coach. We all agree that Aaron is a great man with great character, but sometimes you have to push back. I’m sure he would be a great assistant for someone. Best of luck!

7. Just wait and see!'s Gravatar Just wait and see!
    January 16, 2020 - 11:19 am | Permalink

Rumor has it they had someone on campus Wednesday it would be a huge hire if the rumors are true

8. January 16, 2020 - 1:14 am | Permalink

The MVL isn’t the trinity league… You don’t need to recruit to be competitive in our league. We simply need to find a way to keep the mt view kids home at Mt View. It’s pretty tough to watch mt View kids helping other teams win games win CIF titles and even state titles. We must be competitive That’s all we as alumni are asking is just show some fight. Coach Sepulveda seems like a nice guy and by all accounts he is but bottom line his teams were not even close to being a league contender. And maybe he didn’t have enough time that’s a fair point because this over haul is gonna take at least a full class coming through 4 years to change the culture but I could argue that the teams were going in the opposite direction. Tough job! Hopefully they attach a teaching position so maybe we can get a coach that’s in it for the long haul. The school commits to a coach and vice versa. I’ll be crossing my fingers!!!

9. Anonymous's Gravatar Anonymous
    January 15, 2020 - 9:08 pm | Permalink

I would love to see EM coach and Singiser try to resurrect this program. Then we’ll see how good they are.

10. mvhs alumni's Gravatar mvhs alumni
    January 15, 2020 - 2:30 pm | Permalink

Coach Jesse Ceniceros should come and see if he can turn this program around, that would be a miracle. As a Mountainview alumni its sad that the football program has always been a laughing stock. We have lost so many good players to el monte, arroyo and south el monte.

11. Rise-O-Rama's Gravatar Rise-O-Rama
    January 15, 2020 - 10:15 am | Permalink

On the eve of Pioneer’s acquisition of Corona Centennial’s Matt Logan, I urge the Titans to reconsider and instead ink Sepulveda. Too much success too quickly might be a fatal shock to the system of our dear friend ‘Rise of the Titans.’

12. 57N's Gravatar 57N
    January 15, 2020 - 9:48 am | Permalink

They had Paramo ready to go LOL

13. Lionss's Gravatar Lionss
    January 15, 2020 - 8:03 am | Permalink

Thanks for letting us take your best player last year. Joe Reyes

14. ?'s Gravatar ?
    January 15, 2020 - 2:36 am | Permalink

Pioneer, Mt. View etc. all want coaches, no not coaches, salesmen, that will recruit and be the hot ticket overnite like the salesmen at Sierra Vista.

15. Anonymous's Gravatar Anonymous
    January 14, 2020 - 11:22 pm | Permalink

I think they jumped the gun on the firing. Who on earth would want this job? If they do not attach a teaching job to this position I can’t see anyone respectable applying.

16. FBFan's Gravatar FBFan
    January 14, 2020 - 10:37 pm | Permalink

Not a great football coach, but honestly who gives a darn when you’re as classy as this man is. Talk about a humble classy response. Sierra Vista guy can learn a lot from him!

17. Anonymous's Gravatar Anonymous
    January 14, 2020 - 9:19 pm | Permalink

They needed to give him time he had the mark keppel program on track but it takes time at mom-football schools

18. Lions's Gravatar Lions
    January 14, 2020 - 8:34 pm | Permalink

You Sir are a class act good luck !