Paraclete is out, Maranatha is in and the Olympic is still in place. The Almont has jumped over from the Southeast to make it a six league division. Now the third spot might not be good enough to slide into the playoffs. As for the Montview, gone are the days of four teams getting in. The top two teams from each league will get the nod leaving four wild cards to fill the final slots. Five days before zero week kicks off here’s how we see it stacking up.
1. Monrovia: Don’t know where else they should be. M-Town is muy Bueno.
2. San Dimas: Jordan Taylor reminds some of Daniel Joseph.
3. Schurr: New team motto: Show up and smack!
4. Whittier Christian: Worthy? Of course. But we also love the linebackers.
5. Arroyo: Steven Rivera and Mikey Vasquez keeping DCs up at night.
6. Baldwin Park: Wardell Crutchfield III and company open with Rowland, South Hills.
7. Azusa: 21-4 over last two years. Coach Joe Scherf says this is his best team yet.
8. Valley Christian: People forget Valley was undefeated in league last year.
9. San Gabriel: Oliva names Eric Alvarez starting QB.
10. Rosemead: Andrew Gibson already making an impact.
11. La Canada: Jay Kolina is a monster.
12. Bell Gardens: Yes folks. Josh Adame can throw.
13. Wilson: Moses Vega at running back allows Brandon Schreiman to do his thing.
14. San Marino: It is Garret Glazier at quarterback isn’t it?
15. La Puente: Jose Perez gives the Warriors a solid running game.
16. Village Christian: Amjed Aboul-hosn (860 yards) returns at running back.
17. Covina: The firm of Livingston, McClain and Ainsworth make their case.
18. Pomona: Anthony Rice likes Jamal Overton.
19. El Monte: Manuel Santa Cruz, Michael Jimenez and a lot of depth.
20. Temple City: Michael Bassette is a beast up front. Sophomore Mike Quintanilla has the QB edge.
Number of teams represented in each league: Valle Vista 5, Rio Hondo 4, Almont 3, Olympic 3, MVL 3, Montview 2.
Notes: Temple City might be a little high but I just can’t see a season starting without the Rams in the top 20. Yes, we like the Valle Vista. Yes, the jury is still out on the Montview. Right now the number five team in the V-Vista (Pomona) looks better than the number three team in the Montview (Workman). The top three teams could easily be interchangeable. Let the arguments begin.